Isolated Measurement Systems
TIVP1, TIVP05, TIVP02 Datasheet
IsoVu probe technology delivers accurate differential measurements up to ±2500 V on reference voltages slewing ±60 kV at 100 V/ns or faster. With the IsoVu Generation 2 design, you get all the benefits of IsoVu technology at 1/5 of the size of first generation probes.
With versatile MMCX connectors and an unmatched combination of bandwidth, dynamic range, and common mode rejection, IsoVu Gen 2 probes are setting new standards for isolated probe technology and enabling wide bandgap power designs using SiC and GaN.
Benefits of IsoVu Probes
IsoVu technology uses power-over-fiber and an optical analog signal path for complete galvanic isolation between the measurement system and your DUT. By allowing the probe to float independently at the common mode voltage, isolation provides important advantages.
- 160 dB (100 million to 1) CMRR at DC
- Up to 120 dB (1 million to 1) CMRR at 100 MHz
- Up to 80 dB (10,000 to 1) CMRR at 1 GHz
- ±60 kV Common Mode Voltage range
- Up to ±2500 V differential input Voltage range
- Up to ±2500 V offset range
High Voltage and High Bandwidth
With traditional differential probes you had to choose between high bandwidth or high voltage levels. IsoVu probes, with their shielded coaxial cable and isolation, provide high bandwidth and a differential voltage range of ±2500 V. IsoVu Gen 2 offers bandwidths of 200 MHz, 500 MHz, and 1 GHz to fit your budget and performance needs.
High Performance and Convenient Connections
IsoVu probe tips have a range of connections and accessories that offer high performance and accessibility. The probes can connect directly to MMCX connectors, which are inexpensive and widely-available. This makes for stable, hands-free test points and offer high bandwidth and common mode rejection. The solid metal body shields the center conductor and minimizes ground loop area for the lowest interference possible.
Other accessories are available to adapt the probe tips to a wide range of connections. Additional 0.100" and 0.200" spaced square-pin tips are available for applications that require greater than ±250V differential voltage. When not using a tip, the sensor head has 1 MΩ and 50Ω switchable termination at the probe's SMA connector. This feature effectively adds an isolated channel to any compatible oscilloscope.
Floating Measurements in Power Converter and Motor Drive Designs
Making high-side measurements in half-bridge power converters is challenging because the source or collector to which the measurements are referenced is slewing rapidly up and down. Wide bandgap devices like SiC and GaN FETs are even harder to measure because they can switch high voltages in a few nanoseconds. Noise from this rapidly changing common mode voltage leaks into the differential measurements and hides details on VGS and VDS. IsoVu probes have unmatched common mode rejection at full bandwidth that lets you see signal details, often for the first time.
- Half/Full bridge designs using SiC or GaN, FETs, or IGBTs
- Floating measurements
- Power converter design
- Power device evaluation
- Switching power supply design
- Inverter design
- Motor drive design
- Electronic ballast design
- EMI and ESD troubleshooting
- Current shunt measurements
All specifications are Typical and apply to all models unless noted otherwise.
Characteristic TIVP1 TIVP05 TIVP02 Bandwidth 1 GHz 500 MHz 200 MHz Rise time 450 ps 850 ps 2 ns
- Differential Input Voltage Range, Offset Range, Differential Impedance
Use only the sensor tip cables listed.
Sensor tip cable Differential input voltage range Offset range Input impedance SMA Input (50 Ω mode) ±5 V ±25 V 50 Ω || N.A. SMA Input (1 MΩ mode) ±5 V ±25 V 1 MΩ || 11 pF TIVPMX10X ±50 V ±200 V 10 MΩ || 2.8 pF TIVPMX50X ±250 V ±250 V 9.75 MΩ || 2.3 pF TIVPSQ100X ±500 V ±500 V 9.75 MΩ || 3.5 pF TIVPWS500X ±2.5 kV ±2.5 kV 40 MΩ || 2.4 pF TIVPMX1X ±5 V ±25 V 50 Ω or 1 MΩ || 28 pF
- Common Mode Rejection Ratio
Approximately 20 dB lower in ±5 V Range, except at DC.
Sensor tip cable DC 1 MHz 100 MHz 200 MHz 500 MHz 1 GHz SMA Input (50 Ω mode) 160 dB 145 dB 100 dB 100 dB 100 dB 90 dB SMA Input (1 MΩ mode) 160 dB 145 dB 100 dB 100 dB 100 dB 90 dB TIVPMX10X 160 dB 115 dB 92 dB 90 dB 85 dB 80 dB TIVPMX50X 160 dB 110 dB 80 dB 80 dB 80 dB 70 dB TIVPSQ100X 160 dB 105 dB 60 dB 50 dB 35 dB 25 dB TIVPWS500X 160 dB 90 dB 50 dB 40 dB 20 dB 10 dB TIVPMX1X 160 dB 125 dB 115 dB 110 dB 100 dB 90 dB
- Maximum Non-Destructive Differential Voltage
Sensor tip cable Vpk (DC + peak AC)1 SMA Input (50 Ω mode) 5V RMS SMA Input (1 MΩ mode) 100 Vpk TIVPMX10X 250 Vpk TIVPMX50X 300 Vpk TIVPSQ100X 600 Vpk TIVPWS500X 3300 Vpk TIVPMX1X 5 V RMS (50 Ω), 100 Vpk (1 MΩ)
1 Derated with frequency; refer to the Maximum differential input voltage vs. frequency derating graph in the Specifications section of the TIVP Series IsoVu Measurement System User Manual.
- Common mode voltage range
- 60 kV peak
- Common mode input impedance (Typical)
- Input resistance
- Galvanically isolated through the fiber optic connection
- Input capacitance2
- <2 pF
2 The capacitance between the sensor head and a reference plane. The sensor head is placed six inches (15.25 cm) above the reference plane.
- DC Gain accuracy
- Differential DC gain accuracy
- System noise (rms)
Sensor tip cable ±20 mV range (most sensitive) ±320 mV range ±5 V range (widest range) SMA Input (50 Ω mode) 0.43 mV rms 1.46 mV rms 48 mV rms SMA Input (1 MΩ mode) 0.43 mV rms 1.46 mV rms 48 mV rms TIVPMX10X 4.3 mV rms 14.6 mV rms 480 mV rms TIVPMX50X 21.5 mV rms 73 mV rms 2.4 V rms TIVPSQ100X 43 mV rms 146 mV rms 4.8 V rms TIVPWS500X 215 mV rms 730 mV rms 24 V rms
- Propagation delay
- 2 meter cable
- 18.3 ns
- 10 meter cable
- 63.7 ns
- CLASS I LASER PRODUCT
- This product complies with 21 CFR 1040.10 and 1040.11 except for deviations pursuant to Laser Notice No. 50, dated June 24, 2007.
- Tektronix IsoVu 1 GHz Isolated Probe with 2 m cable
- Tektronix IsoVu 500 MHz Isolated Probe with 2 m cable
- Tektronix IsoVu 200 MHz Isolated Probe with 2 m cable
- Tektronix IsoVu 1 GHz Isolated Probe with 10 m cable
- Tektronix IsoVu 500 MHz Isolated Probe with 10 m cable
- Tektronix IsoVu 200 MHz Isolated Probe with 10 m cable
- IsoVu carrying case for 2 m cable models; soft case (with foam insert) protects the TIVP and enforces the optical fiber minimum bend radius
- IsoVu carrying case for 10 m cable models; soft case (with foam insert) protects the TIVP and enforces the optical fiber minimum bend radius
- SMA wrench/driver tool; 5/16" wrench for use on SMA connector
- Probe tip adapter; adapt an MMCX IsoVu tip to standard 0.100" spaced, 0.025" square pins
- Probe bipod for probe; TIVP can rotate in holder to accommodate square pin headers
- MMCX probe tip; MMCX tip is recommended for the best bandwidth and CMRR performance
- TIVP Series Quick Reference Guide
- Certificate of traceable calibration
Translated manuals can be downloaded as pdf files on your local Tektronix Web site.
- 50X sensor tip cable with MMCX connector
- 100X sensor tip cable with 0.100" spaced square pin connectors
- 500X sensor tip cable with 0.200" spaced wide square pin connector
- 1X MMCX sensor tip
- Square Pin to MMCX Adapter, 0.062" Spacing
- Probe Tip Tripod Support
- Lead, MMCX to IC Grabber
- Lead, Square Pin to IC Grabber
- Lead, Wide Square Pin to Banana Jack
- Square Pin Y-lead
- MicroCKT grabbers
- Spare Pins for 0.062" Spaced Test Points
- Solder Aid for 0.062" Spaced Square Pins
The measurement systems can be used with the following Tektronix oscilloscopes. For oscilloscopes not included in this list, contact your local Tektronix representative.
- 4 Series MSO
- 5 Series MSO
- 6 Series MSO
- Opt. C3
- Calibration Service 3 Years
- Opt. C5
- Calibration Service 5 Years
- Opt. D1
- Calibration Data Report
- Opt. D3
- Calibration Data Report 3 Years (with Opt. C3)
- Opt. D5
- Calibration Data Report 5 Years (with Opt. C5)
- Opt. R3
- Repair Service 3 Years (including warranty)
- Opt. R5
- Repair Service 5 Years (including warranty)
Probes and accessories are not covered by the oscilloscope warranty and Service Offerings. Refer to the datasheet of each probe and accessory model for its unique warranty and calibration terms.