What is the difference between OpenChoice Desktop and Wavestar (WSTRO) software programs?
While both of these programs are run on Windows-based PC's and connect to Tektronix oscilloscopes, they are different in these areas:
- The models of oscilloscopes they support
- The extent to which they provide analysis, remote control, and active displays of waveform data
- WaveStar is an older application that is no longer supported. It is still available for download for user of older Tektronix equipment that is not supported by Open Choice Desktop.
- Were compatible with specific Windows OS platforms.
OPEN CHOICE DESKTOP is a application that enabled data transfer from Tektronix oscilloscopes (TDS200, TDS1000, TDS2000, TDS3000, DPO3000, MSO3000, DPO4000, MSO4000, and MDO4000 series) to Windows-based PCs. It lets you capture oscilloscope screen images, waveform data, and settings from a Microsoft Windows computer for data logging, documentation, and analysis using the wealth of applications available in Microsoft Windows.
- The Excel toolbar loads waveforms and measurements directly into Excel 2000/2002
- The Word toolbar loads data and images directly into Word 2000/2002
- The OpenChoice Desktop application retrieves data and/or images for storage in common files formats or copy and paste into other Windows programs.
WaveStar was a Windows application (Window 2000 and WinXP) that served as a general-purpose tool to communicate with Tektronix oscilloscopes from connected PCs. Tektronix instruments supported by WaveStar include some of the below listed models:
- TDS200, TDS1000, TDS2000, and TDS3000 series
- TDS5000B, 6000, 7000B series
- TDS600, TDS700 series
- CSA7000B, CSA8000 series
- And others
In addition to transfer data from the instrument, it is also capable of advanced features such as interactive control, graphing continuously-updated waveforms in a variety of forms, sending instructions that change individual settings on the oscilloscope, and performing measurements and analysis functions on the waveform data. Note: WaveStar is no longer a supported application.
|Features||OpenChoice Desktop||WaveStar (WSTRO)|
|Included in TDSCMAX, TDS2MEM, and TDS3GV modules||Yes||No|
|Provided for support of TDS200/1000/2000/3000 series||Yes||Yes|
|Provided for support of legacy and Performance oscilloscopes||No||Yes|
|Supports Serial, GPIB and Ethernet connections||Yes||Yes|
|Enables transfer of waveforms data points||Yes||Yes|
|Enables transfer of measurement data points||Yes||Yes|
|Enables transfer of static screen images||Yes||Yes|
|Saves data in commonly used file formats||Yes||Yes|
|Windows program for stand-alone operation||Yes||Yes|
|Toolbars for data transfer within Word & Excel||Yes||No|
|Performs measurements not available on scope||No||Yes|
|Displays and continuously updates waveforms||No||Yes|
|Provides multiple types of charts and data logs||No||Yes|
|Prints waveforms and screens||No||Yes|
|Includes analysis Power and Harmonics analysis||No||Yes|
This FAQ Applies to:
No product series
FAQ ID 58761View all FAQs »