TTR500 Series Vector Network Analyzer (VNA)
TTR500 Series Vector Network Analyzer (VNA)
A Vector Network Analyzer (VNA) is an electrical test instrument that uses a known Continuous Wave (CW) signal to measure the magnitude and phase response of Radio Frequency (RF) and microwave components, systems, and sub-systems in both design and manufacturing applications. It is an important test instrument that helps make wireless devices possible.
The Tektronix TTR500 Series 2-port, 2-path vector network analyzer gives RF design and validation engineers, education professionals, and manufacturing organizations the ability to accelerate their time-to-market by reducing prototype iterations and making everyday measurements with accuracy and confidence.
Vector Network Analyzer advantages
A VNA allows you to measure complex quantities such as reflection coefficients, impedance, admittance, return loss, insertion loss, gain, isolation, and much more in a manner that is not possible with other test instruments.
Traditional test equipment such as power meters, spectrum analyzer, and oscilloscopes typically only have receivers that are used to measure signals emitted or created by the Device Under Test (DUT). In contrast, a VNA has both a source and a set of receivers used to determine changes to the stimulus caused by the DUT. The stimulus-based test approach allows VNAs to measure very small reflections and changes to the stimulus enabling you to accurately characterize any RF component in real-world environment and test conditions.
Who uses Vector Network Analyzers?
RF design and validation engineers use VNAs to validate their design simulations.
Manufacturing engineers assemble and test RF components and devices based on a certain set of specifications. Vector Network Analyzers are used to quickly and accurately validate the performance of the RF components and devices.
Education professionals train the next generation of engineers with standard industry test instrumentation.
VNA application examples:
- Antenna matching and tuning
- Filter measurements
- Amplifier measurements
- Radio Frequency (RF) cable and connector measurements
- 75 Ohm characteristic impedances
- Automated production testing
Smart innovations, reduced cost and size
The TTR500 Series VNA tightly integrates six RF receivers and two RF sources into a proprietary ASIC. With its innovative architecture and patented technology, the TTR500 Series VNA achieves the same level of performance as a benchtop VNA, but at 40 percent lower cost and one-seventh the size and weight of units with comparable performance.
- Frequency Range: 100 kHz up to 6 GHz
- Dynamic Range: Greater than 110 dB
- Trace Noise: Less than 0.012 dBrms
- Output Power: -50 to +7 dBm
- Built-in bias tee accessible on both ports to bias active devices
Learning curve? There is none
It's simple. Our industry-standard interface allows you to spend less time getting up to speed, so you'll have more time to test your design. The VectorVu-PC software delivers a traditional look and feel for controlling and calibrating the instrument with any Windows PC or laptop. For automated test systems, programmatic support is offered for common legacy VNAs for easy integration into existing test systems.
- Run VectorVu-PC in offline mode to analyze stored data
- Output file format compatible with common EDA simulation tools
- SCPI command compatible with common legacy VNA
|Rohde & Schwarz
|Frequency Range||100 kHz - 3.0 GHz||100 kHz - 3.0 GHz||1 MHz - 8.0 GHz||9 kHz - 6.0 GHz|
|100 kHz – 6.0 GHz||100 kHz - 6.5 GHz|
|Dynamic Range (dB)||>122||117||100||> 115|
|Trace Noise (dBrms)||< 0.008||0.005||0.006||< 0.005|
|Output Power||-50 to +7 dBm||-20 to 0 dBm||-20 to -3 dBm||-50 to 0 dBm|
|Bias Tee (internal)||Yes||No||No||No|
Antenna Matching and Tuning
You built your antenna and transceiver. Now you want to see how well it performs. Minimize costly signal reflections and maximize signal range by testing for impedance mismatches or discontinuities in your system using the TTR500 VNA. Thanks to its USB design and easy to use interface, the TTR500 makes analyzing impedances or admittances on the Smith chart and saving S-parameter files, for the purpose of designing matching networks, seamless and convenient.
- Measure S-parameters in Log Magnitude, Phase, SWR, impedance, and admittance formats
- Smith chart markers in impedance, admittance, phase, real, and imaginary
- Conveniently import/export S-parameter files in Touchstone (.sNp) file format directly to your PC
- Save traces to memory for comparison with live results
You have a filter to test and you want to see low loss and high rejection at the correct frequencies. While other types of test equipment can measure overall performance, VNAs allow the user to fully characterize filters within their intended operating frequency and power level, allowing for complete comparisons to design simulations. The TTR500 VNA is capable of measuring return loss, insertion loss, group delay and much more for both tuning and validating filter performance.
- Tune and characterize filters by measuring return loss, insertion loss, group delay and much more
- Simplify test procedures by taking advantage of automated bandwidth and notch measurements
- Optimize dynamic range and measurement speeds by adjusting IFBW from as low as 10 Hz to 300 kHz
- Measure high dynamic range cavity filters using the TTR500's >122 dB dynamic range
Your amplifier has to deliver sensitivity to a receiver, and high power as an output. The TTR500 allows you to fully characterize amplifier performance for comparing to design simulations. Use the built-in bias tee (standard in both models) to provide a DC bias to active devices without the expense and complication of external circuitry. Unlike some other USB-based VNAs, the TTR500 series VNA is capable of measuring both passive and active devices including medium to low-power amplifiers.
- Measure amplifier impedance match, gain, phase, group delay, and isolation
- Built-in bias tee accessible on both ports to conveniently bias active devices
- Capable of a wide range of output power levels for determining P1dB compression points
- Source and Reciever Calibration for higher precisision power measurements
RF Cable and Connector Measurements
If you have a pile of cables or connectors and you want to characterize their S-parameters, or if you simply want to know if they're any good, you can with the TTR500 series VNA. Capable of measuring as much as 40 dB of return loss, the TTR500 series VNA has the calibration and measurement performance required to properly characterize these important RF components.
- Characterize RF cables and connectors with as much as 40 dB return loss
- Calibrate once, and measure for a week: less than 0.1 dB of drift over 90 hours
- Built-in functions such as Port Extension allow for properly dialing in calibration planes
- Simplify test procedures by saving and recalling calibration state files
Automated Production Testing
You need fast, accurate, and stable network readings. Automate the process of measuring DUTs to verify that they're built right, tune it if it isn't, or characterize test fixture losses to remove them from your measurement. The TTR500 series VNA provides performance, accuracy, and reliability, with a significantly lower cost of ownership compared to similar performing used and outdated VNA competitors. In addition, similar to other traditional benchtop VNAs, the TTR500 series VNA is SCPI code compatible, allowing you to migrate existing VNA test code.
- Extremely low cost of ownership compared to competition
- Robust SCPI command interface (compatible with current VNA models) to optimize code migration
- Programmable in C/C++, Python, MatLab, LabView, etc. via SCPI code through TekVISA or NI VISA
- Rack mount kit, availale separately, holds either one or two instruments in a rack
Ideal for Education
Don't let the small form-factor fool you. Designed with a robust, industry-standard user interface, more than 122 dB dynamic range, and up to 6 GHz frequency range, the TTR500 series VNA is the perfect instrument for preparing the next class of engineers. And with its extremely affordable price, more students can have hands-on time with a real-world instrument.
- Full suite of 2-port 2-path VNA capabilities
- Industry-standard and recognizable user interface
- Import/export S-parameters in Touchstone (.sNp) file format
- Offline mode well suited for out-of-lab assignments
Complete line of affordably priced accessories
Tektronix offers a variety of robust accessories to simplify your shopping for the complete VNA solution. Accessories available include a rugged carrying case, rack mount kits, rugged phased-stable cables, attenuators, adapters and calibration kits.
- Wide variety of calibration kits
- Rugged, phase stable cables in a variety of sizes and types
- Adapters, coaxial, 50 Ohm with a variety of connector sizes and types
|What is a Vector Network Analyzer and how does it work?|
What is a Vector Network Analyzer (VNA)? Vector Network Analyzers are used to test component specifications and verify design simulations to make sure systems and their components work properly together.
|Primer||21 Mar 2018|
|What are the differences between the TTR506A and TTR506A option LE?|
The primary differences between the TTR506A LE and TTR506A are the dynamic range is lower (> 110 dB vs. > 122 dB), the trace noise magnitude is higher (< 0.012 dB RMS vs. < 0.008 dB RMS) and the trace noise phase is higher (< 0.05 vs. <…
|FAQ ID: 467576||06 Mar 2018|
|VectorVu-PC Vector Network Analysis Software - CANDIDATE V1.2.4|
VectorVu-PC vector network analysis software is the analysis engine for the TTR500A Series VNAs, enabling you to: ● Perform live network analyses on your PC when connected to the TTR503A or TTR506A over USB2.0. ● Perform offline analyses of saved data and…
Part number: 066192402
|Application||12 Feb 2018|
|Vector Network Analyzers|
TTR500 Series Datasheet Legendary support and quality meets ease-of-use and affordability. The Tektronix TTR500 series 2-port, 2-path VNA is our latest breakthrough - an unmatched combination of measurement performance and convenience. Get the power to make everyday measurement…
Literature number: 70W-61132-0
|Datasheet||29 Jan 2018|
This document contains instructions for assembling the TTR500RACK rackmount kit for installation of TTR500 Series Vector Network Analyzers into a standard 19-inch equipment rack.
Part number: 071349201
|Field Install Instructions||28 Aug 2017|
This document provides information about controlling the TTR500 Series Vector Network Analyzers (VNAs) through a programmatic interface.
Part number: 077125700
|Programmer||28 Aug 2017|
|VectorVu-PC Vector Network Analysis Software - V1.0.3|
Part number: 066191600
|Application||08 Aug 2017|
|VectorVu-PC Vector Network Analysis Software - CANDIDATE V1.0.5|
Part number: 066192401
|Application||30 Jun 2017|
|VNA Competitive Comparison|
Literature number: 70W-61150-0
|Competitive||14 Jun 2017|
|VectorVu-PC Vector Network Analysis Software - CANDIDATE V1.0.4|
Part number: 066192400
|Application||30 May 2017|