Digital Storage Oscilloscopes
TPS2000B Series Data Sheet
The TPS2000B Series offers a distinctive range of capabilities in an oscilloscope with controls and menus you will find familiar and easy to use. Available in 2- or 4-channel versions, the TPS2000B Series with IsolatedChannel™ technology provides isolation from ground and isolation between channels allowing you to take measurements with less worry about damaging circuitry. Battery power comes standard, making it a natural choice for field applications. For work on power electronics, optional software integrates commonly needed power system measurements into the instrument, speeding up power analysis and troubleshooting.
Key performance specifications
- 100 MHz and 200 MHz bandwidths
- 2 or 4 fully isolated and floating channels, plus impedance isolated external trigger input
- Sample rates up to 2 GS/s real time on all channels
- 2.5k point record length on all channels
- 8 hours of continuous battery operation with two batteries installed, hot swappable for virtually unlimited freedom from AC line power
- Optional power application software offers the broadest range of power measurements at its price point
- Quickly document and analyze measurement results with OpenChoice® software or integrated CompactFlash® mass storage
- FFT standard on all models
- Advanced triggers to quickly capture the event of interest
- Traditional, analog-style knobs and multi-language user interface for easy operation
- Quick setup and operation with autoset menu, autorange, waveform and setup memories, and built-in, context-sensitive Help
- Backlit menu buttons for high visibility
- 11 of the most critical automatic waveform measurements
- Industrial power design, troubleshooting, installation, and maintenance
- Advanced electronics design, troubleshooting, installation, and maintenance
- Automotive design and test
Make floating and differential measurements - quickly, accurately, affordably
Unintentionally grounding a circuit under test is a common cause of poor measurement results and circuit damage. Connecting two or more grounded probes can cause ground loops, and if the current is high enough can result in ruined components and equipment. Most importantly, taking floating measurements without the proper instruments and probes can pose a safety hazard.
Tektronix IsolatedChannel technology simplifies floating measurements. Unlike ground-referenced oscilloscopes, the TPS2000B input connector shells are isolated from each other and from earth ground. Within the specified 600 VRMSmaximum float voltage, IsolatedChannel technology keeps current from flowing between the TPS2000B input BNC shells or from any BNC shell to earth.
Four IsolatedChannel™ inputs and isolated external trigger input for quick, accurate, affordable floating and differential measurements.
Selecting the right probes for the job
Different passive probes are available, depending on your application. With the included TPP0101/TPP0201 passive probes, the TPS2000B can measure up to 400 Vp-p. However, to meet the safety rating of the TPP0101/TPP0201, the reference lead of the probe must be maintained within 30 VRMSrelative to ground. Because of this, the TPP0101/TPP0201 probes are well suited for working on digital and analog circuits in which the maximum voltage never exceeds 30 VRMS.
Measurements on power conversion electronics usually require probes with higher voltage ratings. Tektronix offers two passive probes with insulation systems specifically designed for making floating measurements. With their 100X attenuation, and 1000 VRMS rating, the optional P5122 probes (when coupled with the TPS2000B) are suitable for making measurements on 480 VRMS devices in Category II environments, with a maximum float voltage of up to 600 VRMS relative to earth ground. With the optional P5150 probe, the TPS2000B can measure up to 2000 Vp-p, with a maximum float voltage within 600 VRMSof ground. The P5150 is the best choice for making AC-coupled ripple measurements on high-voltage DC power supplies.
Please see "Characteristics" for complete safety ratings and specifications.
|Scope/Probe (Attenuation)||Maximum Safety Ratings||TPS2000 Viewable Signal|
|Reference Float Safety Rating 1||Input Signal Safety Rating||On-screen Peak-Peak Voltage (Sinusoid centered at 0 V)||On-screen RMS Voltage (Sinusoid centered at 0 V)|
|TPS2000B Input (1X)||600 VRMSCAT II||300 VRMSCAT II||40 Vp-p||14.1 VRMS|
|TPP0101 (100 MHz)||30 VRMS||300 VRMSCAT II||400 Vp-p||141 VRMS|
|TPP0201 (200 MHz)||30 VRMS||300 VRMSCAT II||400 Vp-p||141 VRMS|
|P5150 (50X)||600 VRMSCAT II||1000 VRMSCAT II||2000 Vp-p||705 VRMS|
|P5122 2 (100X)||600 VRMSCAT II||1000 VRMSCAT II||2828 Vp-p||1000 VRMS|
Input signal and float voltage maximum safety ratings.
1Passive probe reference leads have no attenuation so any working voltage or over-voltage transients pass straight through to the scope reference. Thus, a passive probe reference float rating can never exceed the scope reference float rating.
2The P5122 probe should not be used for AC-coupled measurements on signals with greater than 300 V DC offset. The P5120 is the recommended probe for measuring ripple on high-voltage DC supplies.
Speed the design and test of industrial power systems and circuits
From mobile phones to industrial motor drives, power conversion technology has enabled significant advances in size, performance, and energy efficiency. But even the most basic task of viewing a converter's input and output is complicated by multiple voltage references. Multiple references also make it challenging to view signals from control circuits and power circuits at the same time. Using ground-referenced oscilloscopes in these applications, without appropriate differential probes, can damage circuits and produce bad measurements. For debugging power conversion electronics, IsolatedChannel technology reduces the risk of damage and unintended circuit interactions.
For performing power system measurements, TPS2PWR1 power application software is available as an option for the TPS2000B. It provides advanced power measurements right on the oscilloscope, at an entry-level price.
Conduct harmonic distortion measurements with TPS2PWR1 software.
For dialing in the performance of switching components, the power application software adds important measurements to the TPS2000B, including automatic switching loss, dv/dt, and di/dt cursor measurements.
For measurements on AC line voltage and for checking the impact on the power distribution system, the power application software shows harmonic content to the 50th harmonic, and provides phase, reactive power consumption, and power factor measurements. With the four-channel TPS2014B or TPS2024B, you can view three-phase voltages or currents.
Two power "bundles" are available, combining probes and measurement software. Each package combines four probes with the TPS2PWR1 power application software, at prices that are lower than if purchased separately. The TPS2PBND2 combines four P5122 100X passive, high-voltage probes with the power application software.
Perform three-phase power measurements of variable frequency drives.
Quickly debug and characterize signals with DRT sampling technology
Characterize a wide range of signal types on up to four channels simultaneously with the TPS2000B Series Digital Real-Time (DRT) sampling technology. This acquisition technology makes it possible to capture high-frequency events, such as glitches and edge anomalies, that eludes other oscilloscopes in its class, so that you can be sure to get an accurate view of your signal.
Capture elusive glitches – the first time – with Digital Real-Time (DRT) sampling technology.
Easily analyze and document your measurement results
Quickly reveal signal interference, crosstalk, and the effects of vibration with frequency domain analysis using the TPS2000B Series Fast Fourier Transform (FFT) feature. Then, easily document your measurement results with the integrated CompactFlash®mass storage.
To capture, save, and analyze your measurement results on your PC, the included OpenChoice®PC software can be used. Every TPS2000B Series also ships with a free copy of the special Tektronix Edition of the National Instrument LabVIEW SignalExpress™ software for basic instrument control, data logging, and analysis. The optional Professional Edition of SignalExpress offers over 200 built-in functions that provide additional signal processing, advanced analysis, sweeping, limit testing, and user-defined step capabilities.
Speed documentation and analysis of measurements results with OpenChoice® software and integrated CompactFlash® mass storage.
SignalExpress supports the range of Tektronix bench instruments1, enabling you to connect your entire test bench. You can then access the feature-rich tools packed into each instrument from one intuitive software interface. This allows you to automate complex measurements requiring multiple instruments, log data for an extended period of time, time-correlate data from multiple instruments, and easily capture and analyze your results, all from your PC. Only Tektronix offers a connected test bench of intelligent instruments to simplify and speed debug of your complex design.
1To see the full range of Tektronix instruments supported by the Tektronix Edition of NI LabVIEW SignalExpress, visit www.tek.com/signalexpress.
Correlate your measurements from bench to lab to field
Use the TPS2000B Series on your bench, in the lab, or in the field, with the industry's longest continuous battery life - 8 hours and beyond - in a highly mobile package.1Enjoy virtually unlimited freedom from an AC power source with hot-swappable batteries.
Easily correlate your measurements between bench, lab, and field with the highly portable TPS2000B Series.
Enjoy virtually unlimited freedom from an AC power source with hot-swappable batteries.
1Please refer to Environmental and Safety specifications.
Optimize your productivity
The oscilloscope has a front-panel layout that most users will find familiar. Each channel has a dedicated set of scale and position controls. Reduce your measurement time with features like autoset, autorange, automatic measurements, probe check wizard, and context-sensitive help. Backlit menu buttons help you work in a variety of challenging environments - from bright daylight to dimly lit areas.
Easily use the oscilloscope even in environments that challenge operation, with features such as analog-style knobs per channel and backlit menu buttons.
Performance you can count on
In addition to industry-leading service and support, every TPS2000B Series oscilloscope comes backed with a three-year standard warranty.
All specifications are guaranteed unless noted otherwise. All specifications apply to all models unless noted otherwise.
|Bandwidth 1||100 MHz||100 MHz||200 MHz|
|Rise time||3.5 ns||3.5 ns||2.1 ns|
|Sample rate per channel||1.0 GS/s||1.0 GS/s||2.0 GS/s|
|Record length||2.5k points||2.5k points||2.5k points|
1Bandwidth is 20 MHz at 2 mV/div, all models. For TPS2024B, 200 MHz bandwidth is typical at 5 mV/div. Bandwidth is 200 MHz at 10 mV/div and above, for operating temperatures from 0 °C to 40 °C. Bandwidth is 180 MHz for all V/div settings 10 mV/div and above, for operating temperatures from 0 °C to 50 °C.
- Record length
- 2.5k points
- Vertical resolution
- 8 bits (normal or with averaging)
- Vertical sensitivity
- 2 mV to 5 V/div on all models with calibrated fine adjustment
- DC vertical accuracy
- Vertical zoom
- Vertically expand or compress a live or stopped waveform
- Maximum input voltage (1 MΩ)
- 300 VRMS CAT II from BNC signal to BNC shell
- Float voltage
- 600 VRMS CAT II from BNC shell to earth ground
- Position range
2 mV to 200 mV/div ±1.8 V
>200 mV to 5 V/div ±45 V
- Bandwidth limit
- 20 MHz
- Linear dynamic range
- ±5 div
- Input impedance
- 1 MΩ ±2% in parallel with 20 pF
- Input coupling
- AC, DC, GND
- Seconds/division range
TPS2012B TPS2014B TPS2024B 5 ns to 50 s/div 5 ns to 50 s/div 2.5 ns to 50 s/div
- Time base accuracy
- 50 ppm
- Horizontal zoom
- Horizontally expand or compress a live or stopped waveform
Trigger system (main only)
- Trigger modes
- Auto, Normal, Single Sequence
- Trigger types
- Edge (rising or falling)
Conventional level-driven trigger. Positive or negative slope on any input.
Coupling Selections: AC, DC, Noise Reject, HF Reject, LF Reject
- Trigger on all lines or individual line, odd/even or all fields from composite video, or broadcast standards (NTSC, PAL, SECAM)
- Pulse width (or glitch)
- Trigger on a pulse width less than, greater than, equal to, or not equal to a selectable time limit ranging from 33 ns to 10 s
- Trigger source
- 2-channel models
- CH1, CH2, Ext, Ext/5, Ext/10
- 4-channel models
- CH1, CH2, CH3, CH4, Ext, Ext/5, Ext/10
- Trigger view
- Displays trigger signal while trigger view button is depressed.
- Trigger signal frequency readout
- Provides a frequency readout of the trigger source with 6-digit resolution.
- Acquisition modes
- Sample data only
- Peak detect
- High-frequency and random glitch capture. Captures glitches as narrow as 12 ns typical using acquisition hardware at all time/div settings from 5 μs/div to 50 s/div
- Waveform averaged, selectable: 4, 16, 64, 128
- Single sequence
- Use the Single Sequence button to capture a single triggered acquisition sequence at a time.
- Scan/roll mode
- At acquisition time-base settings of ≥100 ms/div.
- Voltage, time
- ΔT, 1/ΔT (frequency), ΔV, dv/dt 1, di/dt1
1Requires TPS2PWR1 power application package.
- Automatic waveform measurements
- Period, Frequency, +Width, -Width, Rise Time, Fall Time, Max, Min, Peak-to-Peak, Mean, Cycle RMS.
- Power measurements
- Optional package that offers instantaneous power waveform analysis, waveform analysis, harmonics analysis, switching loss, phase angles, dv/dt and di/dt cursors.
- Add, subtract, multiply, FFT
- Windows: Hanning, Flat Top, Rectangular; 2048 sample points.
- 2-channel models
- CH1 - CH2, CH2 - CH1, CH1 + CH2, CH1 × CH2
- 4-channel models
- CH1 - CH2, CH2 - CH1, CH3 - CH4, CH4 - CH3, CH1 + CH2, CH3 + CH4, CH1 × CH2, CH3 × CH4
- Allows the user to change test points without resetting the oscilloscope.
Single-button, automatic setup of all channels for vertical, horizontal, and trigger systems, with undo autoset.
- Square wave
- Single cycle, multicycle, rising or falling edge
- Sine wave
- Single cycle, multicycle, FFT spectrum
- Video (NTSC, PAL, SECAM)
- Field: All, Odd, or Even Line: All or Selectable Line Number
- OpenChoice® Desktop
- Seamless connection from oscilloscope to PC through RS-232. Transfer and save settings, waveforms, measurements, and screen images. Includes a Windows desktop data transfer application in addition to convenient Word and Excel toolbar add-ins.
- Display type
- 1/4 VGA Active TFT Color 5.7 inch LCD display
- Sin (x)/x
- Waveform styles
- Dots, vectors
- Off, 1 sec, 2 sec, 5 sec, infinite
- YT and XY
- Horizontal zoom
- Horizontally expand or compress a line or stopped waveform
- Port (standard)
- 9-pin DTE
- Full talk/listen modes. Control of all modes, settings, and measurements. Baud rate up to 19,200.
- Printer port (standard)
- Graphics file formats
- TIFF, PCS (PC Paint Brush), BMP (Microsoft Windows), EPS (Encapsulated Postscript), and RLE
- Printer formats
- Bubble Jet, DPU-411, DPU-412, DPU-3445, Thinkjet, Deskjet, Laser Jet, Epson Dot (9- or 24-pin), Epson C60, Epson C80
- Parallel port
- Standard Centronics-type
- Mass storage CompactFlash® memory
- Accepts any Type 1 CompactFlash® card, up to and including 2 GB (card not included).
- PC connectivity
- Nonvolatile storage
- CompactFlash® up to 2 GB
- Reference waveform display
- Two 2500 point reference waveforms
- Waveform storage
- 96 or more reference waveforms per 8 MB
- 4000 or more front-panel setups per 8 MB
- Screen images
- 128 or more screen images per 8 MB (the number of images depends on file format selected).
- Save All
- 12 or more Save All operations per 8 MB. A single Save All operation creates 2 to 9 files (setup, image, plus one file for each displayed waveform).
- Power source
- AC adapter with power cord
- Battery operation
Capacity for two hot-swappable battery packs
One standard battery pack offers 4 hours of battery operation
Optional second battery pack extends battery operation to 8 hours
Continuous battery operation is possible by hot-swapping charged batteries
mm inches Width 336.0 13.24 Height 161.0 6.33 Depth 130.0 5.10
- Cooling clearance
- 2 in. (50 mm) required on left side and rear of instrument
kg lb. Instrument only 2.7 6.0 with 1 battery 3.2 7.0 with 2 batteries 3.7 8.0
- Package dimensions
mm inches Width 476.2 18.75 Height 266.7 10.50 Depth 228.6 9.00
EMC, environment and safety
- 0 °C to +50 °C
- -40 °C to +71 °C
- TPS2000B Series oscilloscopes are not intended for use in wet or damp conditions.
High: 50 °C / 60% RH
Low: 30 °C / 90% RH
High: 55 °C to 71 °C / 60% RH max wet bulb
Low: 30 °C to 0 °C / <90% RH max wet bulb
- Up to 3,000 meters
- 15,000 meters
- Pollution degree 2
- Do not operate in an environment where conductive pollutants may be present (as defined in IEC61010-1:2001).
- Enclosure rating
- When the CompactFlash® card and power analysis software are installed (as defined in IEC60529:2001)
- Electromagnetic compatibility
- Meets or Exceeds: Australian EMC Framework, demonstrated per Emission Standard AS/NZS 2064.1/2
- UL61010-1: 2004. CAN/CSA22.2 No. 1010.1: 2004. EN61010-1: 2001.
- Do not float the TPP0101/TPP0201 probe common lead to >30 V RMS. Use the P5122, P5150 (floatable to 600 V RMS CAT II) or similarly rated passive, high-voltage probe, or an appropriately rated high-voltage, differential probe when floating the common lead above 30 V RMS.
- 100 MHz, 1 GS/s, 2.5k points, 2-channel digital storage oscilloscope
- 100 MHz, 1 GS/s, 2.5k points, 4-channel digital storage oscilloscope
- 200 MHz, 2 GS/s, 2.5k points, 4-channel digital storage oscilloscope
One probe per channel standard.
- 100 MHz,10X passive probe for TPS2012B and TPS2014B
- 200 MHz,10X passive probe for TPS2024B
- Front protective cover
- Printed user manual (English only)
- Installation and safety manual
- AC adapter with power cord
- Lithium-ion battery with fuel gauge for 4-hour battery life. Two batteries required for 8 hours of continuous battery operation.
- USB to RS-232 cable
- OpenChoice® PC connectivity software
- NI SignalExpress™ Tek Edition software
- NIM/NIST-Traceable Certificate of Calibration
Three-year warranty covering all labor and parts, excluding probes and accessories.
Power cord and plug options
- Opt. A0
- North America power plug (115 V, 60 Hz)
- Opt. A1
- Universal Euro power plug (220 V, 50 Hz)
- Opt. A2
- United Kingdom power plug (240 V, 50 Hz)
- Opt. A3
- Australia power plug (240 V, 50 Hz)
- Opt. A5
- Switzerland power plug (220 V, 50 Hz)
- Opt. A6
- Japan power plug (100 V, 50/60 Hz)
- Opt. A10
- China power plug (50 Hz)
- Opt. A11
- India power plug (50 Hz)
- Opt. A12
- Brazil power plug (60 Hz)
- Opt. A99
- No power cord
- Opt. L0
- English manual
- Opt. L1
- French manual
- Opt. L2
- Italian manual
- Opt. L3
- German manual
- Opt. L4
- Spanish manual
- Opt. L5
- Japanese manual
- Opt. L6
- Portuguese manual
- Opt. L7
- Simplified Chinese manual
- Opt. L8
- Traditional Chinese manual
- Opt. L9
- Korean manual
- Opt. L10
- Russian manual
- Opt. L99
- No manual
Language options include translated front-panel overlay for the selected language(s).
Tektronix offers over 100 different probes to meet your application needs. For a comprehensive listing of available probes, please visit www.tek.com/probes.
- 2000 A, 5-50 kHz AC current probe/BNC
- 100 A, 100 kHz AC/DC current probe/BNC
- 200 MHz passive 100X high-voltage probe 1
- 500 MHz 50X high-voltage probe
- High-voltage active differential probe (1300 Vp-p, 100 MHz) (1103 power supply required)
- High-voltage active differential probe (5600 Vp-p, 50 MHz) (1103 power supply required)
- 2.5 A, 200 MHz AC current probe
- 15 A, 50 MHz AC/DC current probe (1103 power supply required)
- 150 A, 15 MHz AC/DC current probe/amplifier
- 50 A, 50 MHz AC/DC current probe/amplifier
- 30 A, 100 MHz, DC/AC current probe/amplifier
- 500 A, 2 MHz AC/DC current probe/amplifier
1The P5122 probe should not be used for AC-coupled measurements on signals with greater than 300 V DC offset. The P5120 is the recommended probe for measuring ripple on high-voltage DC supplies.
- Power bundle for TPS2000B oscilloscopes. Includes (4) P5122 passive, 100X high-voltage probes and TPS2PWR1 power measurement and analysis software.
- Power measurements application package. Instantaneous power waveform analysis, waveform analysis, harmonics analysis, switching loss, phase angles, dv/dt and di/dt cursors.
- The Tektronix OpenChoice Desktop free application lets you capture oscilloscope screen images, waveform data, and settings from a Microsoft Windows computer
- Additional battery
- Battery charger
- Soft case for carrying instrument
- Hard case for carrying instrument (requires AC2100)
- Service manual - English only
- Programmer manual - English only
- RS-232, 9-Pin Female to 25-Pin Male, 4.6 m (15 ft.), for modems
- RS-232, 9-Pin Female to 9-Pin Female, null modem, for computers
- RS-232, 9-Pin Female to 25-Pin Female, null modem, for computers
- Centronics, 25-Pin Male to 36-Pin Centronics, 2.4 m (8 ft.), for parallel printer interfaces