Live Chat with Tek representatives. Available 6:00 AM - 4:30 PM PST.
Ecommerce is booming and there are new packaging requirements and certifications to be aware of. Amazon introduced the Frustration-Free Packaging Program to eliminate waste, improve cost effectiveness for manufacturers and make packaging easier to open while ensuring that products arrive on the doorsteps of customers undamaged. In order for your products to qualify for Amazon’s Frustration-Free Packaging Programs, they must be certified to one of the following: Tier 1 (Frustration Free Packaging), Tier 2 (Ships-In-Own-Container) and Tier 3 (Prep-Free Packaging).
To achieve certification your products will be evaluated to: (1) meet all requirements for the corresponding standards listed in the Packaging Certification Guidelines; and (2) pass an International Safe Transit Association (ISTA) 6 Amazon SIOC test (Tier 1 or 2) or ISTA 6 Amazon Overbox (Tier 3) test with the appropriate ISTA certified equipment.
Tektronix is a member of the Amazon Packaging Support and Supplier Network (APASS) and has received guidance from Amazon in testing Amazon Certified Packaging.
ISTA 6-Amazon.com-SIOC Testing
This test is for packaged products shipped by vendors to Amazon.com Fullfilment Centers and delivered to final customer destinations via Parcel or Less-Than-Truckload (LTL) outbound shipping methods. It challenges the capability of both the package and product to withstand transport hazards normally encountered during handling and transportation. Amazon.com Vendors with items intended to utilize SIOC should use this test to understand the protective performance of their packaging.
- Type A: Individually packaged products less than 50 lbs and less than 165" in girth.
- Type B: Individually packaged products from 50 lbs to 100 lbs and less than 165" in girth.
- Type C: Individually packaged products greater than 100 lbs and less than 165" in girth.
- Type D: LTL delivery of individually packaged products less than 100 lbs or girth greater than 165"
- Type E: LTL delivery of individually packaged products greater than 100 lbs or girth greater than 165"
- Type F: LTL delivery of individually packaged products using the Pallet Handling Method
- Type G: LTL delivery of individually packaged TV/Monitor less than 150 lbs and girth less than 165"
- Type H: LTL delivery of individually packaged TV/Monitor greater than 150 lbs or girth geater than 165"
ISTA 6-Amazon.com-Over Boxing Testing
This is a general simulation test for eCommerce fulfillment. In comparison to items ready to ship in its own packaging (ISTA 6-Amazon.com-SIOC), this kind of eCommerce fulfillment comprises an individual retail packaged-product being placed into a master shipping container (Over Box) either by itself or with multiple individual retail packaged-products for shipment from Amazon.com to an end consumer through a parcel delivery system which could include air, rail, or truck travel. The test challenges the packaging and/or products, whether primary package or transport package, ability to withstand the general damage-producing motions, forces, conditions and sequences of this environment.