The 4 Series MSO introduced a new approach to 4-class mixed signal oscilloscopes when it first released in 2019. With its innovative made-for-touch user interface and high-definition display, it brought the user experience of the acclaimed 5 Series MSO to a broader audience and with a smaller bench footprint. The 4 Series won an Electronics Products Product of the Year award in that same year, and quickly became one of the industry’s most popular oscilloscopes. The original 4 Series MSO delivers not only convenience, but also excellent measurement performance:
- 4 or 6 FlexChannelTM inputs. Each FlexChannel can display:
- One analog signal as a waveform view, a spectrum view, or both simultaneously
- Eight digital logic signals with a logic probe
- 200 MHz, 350 MHz, 500 MHz, 1 GHz, or 1.5 GHz field upgradable bandwidth
- 6.25 GS/s real-time sample rate
- 31.25 Mpoints (standard) or 62.5 Mpoints (optional) record length
- 12-bit vertical resolution with up to 16-bits in High Res mode
Fast-forward to 2023 — since 2019, Tek software engineers have released 12 more software versions, each adding more capabilities. As the software grew more capable, we found that the 4 Series could take better advantage of these tools if it had more processing power. So, our hardware and software engineers undertook the task of replacing the processor system and OS on the scope.
The Tektronix 4 Series B MSO has a new processor, operating system, and more.
The new 4 Series B MSO is the result of this effort. The 32-bit ARM processor of the original instrument has been replaced with a 64-bit Intel Atom, and the OS has been completely overhauled to take advantage of the new hardware. Thanks to the new architecture:
- The user interface is twice as responsive as the first generation.
- Remote data transfers are 50% faster.
- Measurements and serial decoding are more than two times faster.
In addition to the processor system, two USB 3.1 host ports were added to the rear of the instrument for 10X faster data transfers to USB media. And the high definition 13.3-inch touch display has been upgraded with a new bonding technology that delivers more contrast and a wider viewing angle.
The extra horsepower in the new processor provides much better performance on compute-intensive operations:
- e*Scope enables users to remotely access and control the instrument over a LAN, using only browser software. The new 4 Series B provides a 10x faster display update rate using e*Scope.
- New analysis features have been enabled, including measurement annotations to indicate reference levels and timing, and waveform histograms provide insight into noise and jitter.
- Existing applications such as 3-Phase Power Analysis and Advanced Power Measurements are more responsive and produce faster results.
- The 4 Series B, like the 4 Series, is available with decoding options for over 25 protocols. Acquire and display decoded packets twice as fast.
The new processor system in the 4 Series B MSO enables faster advanced analysis such as 3-phase power measurements.
And just as we have since the launch of the original 4 Series, we plan to keep adding new capabilities via software updates multiple times per year. The new 4 Series B MSO, with its boosted processor, will continue to adapt to your design challenges for years to come.